- Discover SGS
- New/Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
- Contact Us
Tuition Waiver Policy
The dollar value of tuition to be waived is based on historical data adjusted for annual increases in tuition.
Key points of the tuition waiver policy are as follows:
1. Tuition waivers will be awarded independently of stipends. A student may receive a stipend, a Tuition Waiver, or both. Graduate Assistants receiving a stipend may or may not receive a waiver.
2. Tuition waivers will be awarded in dollar equivalents and may reflect a fraction of total tuition.
(Dollar amount waived = credit hours x tuition rate by residency)
3. Individual programs will be provided a waiver pool and be responsible for prioritizing and setting the amount of each waiver. Actual allocation to each program is at the individual College or School Dean’s discretion.
4. Tuition Waivers do not accumulate or carry over from semester to semester.
5. In any given program, a student may not receive tuition waivers for more than the number of credits in their approved Program of Study. This applies to new students entering Fall 2007. Students who are already enrolled will eligible for waivers up to the amount necessary to complete their approved program of study. A change to programs of study for the purpose of increasing eligibility for tuition waivers is not allowed.
6. In any one semester, the maximum dollar value of tuition waived may not exceed the total tuition billed.
7. Students receiving Graduate Assistantships must enroll in a minimum of 6 credits per semester (Fall and Spring) and 3 credits in summer. Only students in “Approved” or “Qualified” status are eligible for Tuition Waivers. Students in their last semester who have fewer than 6 credits remaining on their program of study (3 credits in summer) may petition the Graduate School for an exemption to this requirement. Continuing enrollment (996) credits used in accordance with Graduate School policy apply once a student has already completed their program of study.
8. Students receiving graduate assistantships will be notified of the amount of their tuition waiver in their appointment letter.
Please note: returning students who have not done so, should meet with their advisors to develop a program of study.