- Discover SGS
- New/Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
- Contact Us
Orientation for New Graduate Students
Welcome to graduate school and congratulations on your decision to earn your degree at the University of North Dakota.
To ensure our students begin their graduate careers as prepared as possible, we have put together important information to help you get started. Below, you will find links that you might wish to bookmark for later reference such as deadlines, handbooks and assistantship information.
Graduate assistants, please pay particular attention to the section of information guiding you to payroll and how to sign up for health insurance.
Welcome to the UND Graduate School Community!
School of Graduate Studies Information
- Important Dates & Deadlines
- Handbooks - Masters, Doctoral and Graduate Assistants
- Student Health Insurance
- SGS forms for current students
- Who should I contact in the School of Graduate Studies if I have a question?
- Graduate Student Association
- Graduate Student Listserv - we post information pertinent to our graduate student community including deadlines, announcements, events and assistantship opportunities. If you are not receiving the weekly listserv, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Did you change your address? Please remember to update your information with the School of Graduate Studies as well as on your CampusConnection account.
Important Information from other UND offices
- Graduate Student Financial Aid
- Register for classes -Navigating CampusConnection
- Student Account Services
- Financial Obligation Agreement - you will need to sign this before you can register for classes.
- View the video instructions for completing the Financial Obligation Agreement
- Fall Student Guide
- Health & Wellness
- Dean of Students Office - please pay particular attention to the section on academic dishonesty
- Alcohol Policy & UND
Graduate Teaching, Research and Service Assistants
The following is very important for Graduate Assistants. Please read carefully.
- You must first accept your assistantship appointment by signing and returning your appointment letter.
- Graduate Assistants - I-9 form and E-Verify. This MUST be completed prior to the graduate assistant beginning work.
- Graduate Assistant Health Insurance - this link applies to students with a Graduate Assistantship
- Harassment Training
- Graduate Assistants Handbook
- Disability Services for Students (recommended for Graduate Teaching Assistants)
- Office of Instructional Development (recommended for Graduate Teaching Assistants)
New Graduate Assistants are encouraged to contact their department prior to the start of the semester.
The School of Graduate Studies hosts monthly forums for Teaching Assistants to provide additional guidance on the classroom experience. Dates, locations and topics will be posted in the graduate student listserv.
- Claim my account - your NDUS identifier will provide you access to campus systems such as CampusConnection, Blackboard, Library proxy access and even campus WiFi.
- Register for courses through CampusConnection - Student Navigation & Tips
- Get my student ID card for checking books from the Library, dining
- and store purchases, events and more
- Student Email - all official UND emails are send to UND email accounts. Be sure to check your email frequently.
- Pay my bills - Student Account Services - in person or online through CampusConnection
- Access Blackboard
- Search the Chester Fritz Library
- Access the University Bookstore - find books, technology, gifts, apparel and supplies at the bookstore
- Access Disability Services for Students
- Get a parking permit - for students with a quarter time, or no assistantship
- Technical requirements for online programs
Dates & Deadlines
- University Calendar (includes dates for Registrar, Student Account Services & Student Financial Aid)
- Graduate Assistant Health Insurance enrollment period for Fall 2015 ends on September 8, 2015.
- Please contact your specific departments regarding Fall Orientation.
- A-Z directory
Here are the First 5 Things You Should Do as a New Graduate Student
Step 1: Claim your NDUS Identifier
Your North Dakota University System (NDUS) identifier allows you to access a variety of systems including CampusConnection, Blackboard, your UND email, proxy access to the Library as well as campus wifi.
Step 2: Complete the Financial Obligation Agreement
The Financial Obligation Agreement must be completed in CampusConnection before enrollment in classes for Fall 2015 is allowed.
- Go to CampusConnection>Financial Obligation Agreement (under the Finances section)
Step 3: Enroll in your classes
Log in to CampusConnection to enroll in your classes. For a useful step-by-step guide, view the Add Courses drop down menu on this page. Do you need a permission number? Contact your department.
Step 4: Check your student email account
Important notices from a variety of University offices use your official UND student email. Be sure to check it frequently for updates, announcements and other important information.
Step 5: Student Health Insurance
And remember! If you will have a graduate assistantship this semester, you must read this important information about graduate assistant health insurance.
If you are a domestic student or graduate assistant in the fall and are not yet enrolled in the health insurance program, but wish to be, you must enroll following the guidelines. If you are an international graduate assistant, you are required to carry coverage and will be enrolled automatically.